Position Overview: Part-time, 21-28 hours/week, mid-October start date, 6 month initial contract with possibility of renewal (*tbd mid-way through the contract based on active management of expectations and returns by the Director)
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Ottawa (Montreal or Toronto are possibilities). *Priority will be given to qualified applicants based in Ottawa; however exceptions may be made to allow highly qualified applicants based in Montreal or Toronto to work remotely with occasional travel to Ottawa.
Peace Brigades International (PBI) is an international non-governmental organisation that was founded in Canada in 1981.PBI uses nonviolent action to deter political violence and expand the physical and political space of human rights defenders (HRDs) working in areas of conflict. On request, PBI sends international volunteers to provide protective accompaniment and an international presence to local defenders and displaced communities who fear for their safety.
Human rights violators don’t want the world to know about their crimes. The work of PBI helps make sure the world does know. Peace Brigades International has helped hundreds of communities and thousands of people by protecting HRDs who work in pursuit of justice for the victims and survivors of violence, displacement and repression. PBI works to ensure that there is space throughout the world where peace can grow and thrive and where there is universal respect for human rights. PBI has presence in 17 countries, including Canada.
Fundraiser and Outreach Officer Objectives:
The fundraiser and outreach officer will work in collaboration with the executive director, administrative coordinator and project country/international office staff to develop and execute new fundraising approaches. Specific duties will include:
- Generating fundraising ideas that align with the values and mission of PBI-Canada;
- Undertaking and guiding prospect research on potential institutional donors and foundations;
- Compiling information for and drafting letters of inquiry, concept notes and grant proposals; Periodic face-to-face meetings with donors may also be required;
- Contributing to planning and executing individual giving campaigns;
- Organizing and executing fundraising and profile-building events;
- Maintaining electronic database and paper records, including grant tracking and reporting obligations;
- Compiling information for and drafting donor reports;
- Other tasks to be mutually agreed upon.
- Minimum of three years of experience in grant writing and fundraising-related outreach for non-profits;
- Excellent working skills in English, with fluency in French highly desirable. Ability to communicate in Spanish would be an additional asset;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Confident public speaker and skilled writer;
- Knowledge of human rights would be an advantage.
- Salary: $23-25/hour (commensurate with experience). 10% of gross salary provided in lieu of a benefits package;
- Paid bi-weekly;
- The relationship between all staff and the PBI-Canada Board is guided by the PBI-Canada Personnel Committee and PBI-Canada’s Personnel Policy.
Application Process: Applicants should submit a cover letter explaining their interest in and qualifications for this position, along with a resume and the names of three references. Please submit your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Fundraiser and Outreach Officer Position. The deadline for receipt of applications is Tuesday October 14, 2014 (4pm Eastern Time). Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.We are very grateful to all who have taken the time to apply.